Wednesday, July 25, 2007

a little scare


i ended up in the hospital yesterday afternoon. i was sitting at my computer working when i realized that my contractions were coming pretty frequently. (i've been having them for quite some time, so it's nothing new) they were coming so regularly that i decided to head over to the couch and kick back and relax for a little bit while i timed how far apart they were. it turns out they were coming pretty regularly....between 3 and 4 minutes apart. after watching them for about 45 minutes, i called my dr. and told her the situation. she asked me to come in right away to get checked out.

so i go to the clinic and while i wasn't really dialated that much, she suggested i go to the hospital to get some iv fluids and a shot of trabutaline/terbutaline (i can't seem to find the official spelling online) if needed.

i get to the hospital and they pump some major fluids in my arm and hook me up to all the monitors so they can monitor my contractions as well as the baby. even after pouring an entire bag of fluids in my arm, the contractions were still 3-4 minutes apart. so along came the shot of terbutaline. after more monitoring after the shot, they had slowed to 7 minutes apart. they still weren't satisfied, so along came another bag of fluids and another shot. after more monitoring, it showed that i had only had 1 or 2 contractions over the course of the final hour. at that point they were satisfied that they were slowed down enough to send me home. this all happened over about a 5 hour period.

that's the reader's digest version of the story. i'm trying to lay a little lower today. i'm still experiencing a lot of contractions, but hopefully it won't turn into anything like yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you + the baby are ok. Take it easy!!

Wicked Good Dinner said...

Oh gosh, I'm so glad you and the baby are doing OK.

Unknown said...

Oh my, Lori! Glad to hear you're home and AOK now. Kick up your feet and try to rest as best you can! I know that's hard w/ a little one underfoot!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin